Wednesday, December 5, 2012

#ReverbBroads - Laugh, -ly and candy.

We all give advice. Some people (especially people on the CTA) give entirely too much of it, especially when not needed, but at least they feel comfortable giving it. How often do you actually ACT on people's advice? My bet is not very often - we all seem to be very set in our ways, but I'm going to share with you the good, the bad, and the funny.

Post #3: What is the best advice you've ever received from a parent and/or sibling? Worst advice? (By Amy)

BEST: My mom has always told me to laugh, at least once, every day. I sort of thought this was silly, because what good is laughter? Clearly, I was a very depressed child (not the case, at all.) As I move through life, and start dealing with "adult" things - like the death of my grandmother, money challenges, trying to figure out what a retirement fund looks like, I've realized just how valuable that advice is. Also, I'm amazed that I can't find a picture of my mom and I, laughing. I'll have to remedy this the next time I'm in Nevada.

WORST: I still hold my family in high esteem. I don't actually think they have ever lead my astray in life. However, my first English teacher in college (and as a freshman, I took her word for Gold,) told me that you should never use words that end in -ly as descriptors (or at all) in your writing. Thinking back on it, I'm not even sure she was an English major.

You can't even imagine how hard this is. Quickly, slowly, really, happily, the list goes on. So...I couldn't tell you the point of this, I can only tell you that I still beat my self up when I catch myself using an -ly word (even if it seemed appropriate at the time), and I wish I could take that moment in time back and challenge her, instead of just re-doing my paper.

FUNNY: Everyone has been told not to take candy from strangers. Let me tell you, this is horrible advice. Candy is amazing. At lunch today, I took a mint flavored candy from my waitress, and it was glorious. Anytime someone wants to offer you candy should be a glorious occasion. The advice should probably go something along the lines of... "Be cautious about what candy you take, but enjoy the candy."

No comments:

Post a Comment