Sunday, December 2, 2012

#ReverbBroads Favorite Place

It's that time of year again - when I try to commit to my blog while sharing with the ReverbBroad Facebook community. Today's post: What is your favorite place in the world? What makes it so special?

I have this memory of Jodie Foster, describing the most beautiful place ever, in the movie Contact, which I saw when I was a lot younger. I've always imagined a place like that as my favorite place, but life is not always like the movies.



I have had lots of favorite places. When I was younger, it was anywhere with my grandpa. For awhile, it was the Capital Playhouse facility. There have been others, but mostly it has been somewhere I felt safe, secure, and free to be myself.


Six ish years ago, an awesome family accepted me, when Brandon and I started dating. We're now moving forward with the rest of our life together (our wedding is in June of 2013), and my current favorite place on Earth is a place that his family holds close to their hearts, as well.

They call it The Cottage, but its so much more than that. It could be a year round living home,but its a mini-vacation spot for all of us. It hold memories: of my first (and only) attempt at wake boarding; an engagement of one of the cousins and her fabulous husband; before my time, of all the children growing up, and now memories filled with those that they have chosen to spend the rest of their lives with.

It also holds freedom. Freedom to lay in the hammock and read a book all day. Freedom to stay at the cottage when everyone else goes skiing, and lay in front of the fire with a book, the dogs and/or a good movie. Freedom to just be, and either play marathons of Hand and Foot, or just hangout.

It's a place to disconnect, to be, and to celebrate family. What is your favorite place?

1 comment:

  1. There really is no place quite like a cottage. You're lucky to have such a special place, and family, to escape to.

    ReplyDelete